Re: Re (2): [debian-sparc] Re: XFree86 in Woody on sun4c.

Hello,

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 peter_easthope@gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca wrote:

> I've added a section with /dev/sunmouse
> after "### END DEBCONF SECTION" in
> XF86Config-4.

Which protocol? Do you use gpm also? If yes, then you don't want both
XFree and gpm to read /dev/sunmouse at the same time, just because it
can't work. In that case, this is what I use:

--- /etc/gpm.conf ---
device=/dev/sunmouse
responsiveness=
repeat_type=sun
type=sun
append="-3"
sample_rate=
--- /etc/gpm.conf ---

--- /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ---
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "BusMouse"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
EndSection
--- /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ---

[...]
> After these two changes, tried "startx xpdf"
> again.  Failure still!

What is the behaviour, apart from the log file?

> Perhaps someone can
> look at XFree86.0.log and the config files
> and tell what is wrong.  The latest files
> are all available on my Web page.

From what I see on your XFree86 log file, it seems that no mouse can be
found. Please check:
 - that gpm is really running (that's how I discovered about the missing
   space character), because your configuration of XFree relies on the
   availability of the /dev/gpmdata device file. Just do a 'ps aux' and
   check that the gpm process is still here
 - that gpm actually works (move the mouse, try some clicks)
 - that the gpm repeater protocol and XFree input protocols are the same
   (sun for gpm and BusMouse for XFree are)

I've had no success in trying to use *PS/2 protocols between gpm and
XFree.

Bon courage.

--
Erwann ABALEA <eabalea@certplus.com> - RSA PGP Key ID: 0x2D0EABD5