Re: ipxutils and ncpfs on Sparc64 platform

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:50:21AM -0500, Roger J. Mialkowski wrote:
> Has anyone ever had any luck running ipx_configure to set up the network
> interface for netware connectivity?
>
> Here's the message I get when I do:
>
> [root@localhost etc]# insmod ipx
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-2.3sparc/kernel/net/ipx/ipx.o
> [root@localhost etc]# insmod ncpfs
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-2.3sparc/kernel/fs/ncpfs/ncpfs.o
> [root@localhost etc]# ipx_configure --auto_interface=on --auto_primary=on
> ipx_configure: ioctl: Invalid argument
> [root@localhost etc]#
>
> And then, when I do a dmesg, the last line is:
>
> sys32_ioctl(ipx_configure:1099): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(000089e0)
> arg(effff9df)
>
> This works without any problems on sparc32 machines (SS5).
>
> Are there any workarounds or patches I need to apply to make this work?

The workaround would be if you could get ipx_configure compiled as a
64bit binary.

The problem is that 32bit programs running under a 64bit kernel have to
have the ioctl's translated, or atleast flagged compatible, so that they
get sent to the correct place in the kernel (just think about where a
32bit pointer is passed and the kernel driver expects a 64bit
pointer...nasty problems would occur without translation).

TO really fix it, the ioctl should be checked and added to
arch/sparc64/kernel/ioctl32.c, either as a compat ioctl (same size 32bit
or 64bit) or have a translation handler created.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/