Re: Compiling Kernel 2.4.20

Sorry if I'm way off base on this one, but I've been paying around with
different kernels  (mostly the 2.4.18 stuff) on an Ultra I.  When I've
finished compiling the source, the resulting vmlinux file isn't
compressed, just like you've stated.  Just for grins, I used gzip to
compress the file, then simply moved and renamed it to its proper
place/name (/boot/vmlinux-011503).  I recreate the symbolic link from
/vmlinuz to my new kernel, check Silo.conf to make sure everything is
pointing to where it should and I can then reboot without any problems.
Since I've g'zipped the kernel, it's small enough, and the system knows
to decompress it.

Perhaps you might try the same thing with the 2.4.20 source.

Just a hunch.

Jeff Pickell
http://www.xionic.net/~jkp