Re: Debian Sparc Perl problem

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 08:57, Ian Cass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a problem here with some Perl & I don't know if it's Debian or not.
> I can only replicate it on Debian Sparc, but I have no other Linux/Sparc to
> test it on. The code works perfectly on Debian i386 & OpenBSD i386.
>
> I've got an app that passes messages to another app on the same machine
> using tcp sockets. Using IO::Socket::INET, Blocking reads do not work if I
> set a Timeout. Any reads (either <$socket> or $socket->getline) will return
> a 'Resource temporarily unavailable' like you'd get if you had no data to
> read when you're using non blocking IO (EAGAIN). If I remove the Timeout
> parameter, it works as expected.

This problem is specific to Debian. Aurora SPARC Linux gives the
expected output:
[root@fry root]# perl server.pl
Accepted a new client
Read yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Read yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Read yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Read yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Read yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Read yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Read yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

[root@fry root]# perl -v

This is perl, v5.6.1 built for sparc-linux

Copyright 1987-2001, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to
the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home
Page.

[root@fry root]# uname -a
Linux fry.rdu.redhat.com 2.4.18-0.96sparc #1 Fri Jun 7 04:07:21 EDT 2002
sparc64 unknown

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> (SAIR LCA, RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260
Red Hat Sales Engineer :: http://www.redhat.com
Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader :: http://www.auroralinux.org

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, or my project, Aurora
SPARC Linux and belong solely to me.

Save Firefly! :: http://www.fireflysupport.com/ :: Keep Flying!