Re: Help with Sparc 20 boot problems

Good morning.

After going back and repartitioning (after formatting, SILO install,
etc), I am stuck at the following boot error. Note to self: Never
repartition, no matter how many second thoughts I may have after a good
nights sleep.

SILO on sda is grabbing the boot cycle and failing, of course, since
I've repartitioned without reformatting (the install software said a
reboot was required before formatting could take place).

Ok, just now I tried the absurd: I typed "halt" at the SILO "boot:"
prompt, and got an "ok"! So "boot floppy" is now happily loading.

I will continue from this point, with the new partition style (this is
the first time I've seen "Whole Disk"), and let y'all know what the
final results are.

Curt-

Here was the entire boot message, because I already had pasted it into
this email.

-----
Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@1,0  File and
args: -v
SILO Buggy old PROMs don't allow reading past 1GB from start of the
disk. Send C
Read error on block 851972 (tried 4096, got -1)

Cannot find /etc/silo.conf (Unknown ext2 error)

Couldn't load /etc/silo.conf
No config file loaded, you can boot just from this command line
Type [prompath;]part/path_to_image [parameters] on the prompt
E.g. /iommu/sbus/espdma/esp/sd@3,0;4/vmlinux root=/dev/sda4
or 2/vmlinux.live (to load vmlinux.live from 2nd partition of boot disk)

You have `-v' string in your boot-file variable.
This string doesn't contain valid arguments to SILO.
Consider doing setenv boot-file. Anyway, SILO will continue as
if there were no arguments in boot-file.
boot: ls
Your imagename `ls' and arguments `' have either wrong syntax,
or describe a label which is not present in silo.conf
Type `help' at the boot: prompt if you need it and then try again.
boot:
-----

--
"Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
 Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.