Re: tftp install on IPX

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 04:45:52PM -0800, Niall Parker wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 03:26:58PM +0100, Irvin Probst wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 21:55, Niall Parker wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the system hangs after the "Booting Linux ..." prompt, no
> > > further messages.
> >
> > IPX are sun4c, so you should read what I wrote about Debian on SS2
> > (http://www.irvinig.org/ss2.html).
> > Bye
>
> Thanks for the pointer ... after some more fiddling I had gotten the
> linux-a.out kernel booting with the root supposedly via NFS, but I lacked
> the appropriate OpenProm command line (I assumed the kernel could figure
> out the NFS stuff via DHCP, but that wasn't the case)
>
> In the mean time though, after being forced to rely on my floppy, I gave it
> another vacuum and managed to boot the system that way ... ;-)
>
> Now that I have it installed though it seems to need a major performance
> tuneup ... I can't believe I once used one of these machines as my daily
> workstation ! (was SunOS that much quicker ?)

Dude.  Expectations.  Think about how much code [crap?] has been added
to OSes and apps since them daze.  Why do you think 16MB was somewhat
reasonable back then?  Try to think back about a couple of things: 10BT
networking seemed *sweet* as opposed to 'hey -- the network is down!';
5MB/sec external vacuums ~:^) were awesome because you could add a huge
500MB disk -- man, space for all the source for several different SunOS
releasesa; one did not run cscope unless you *absolutely had to*.