Linux on a SunFire 280R?

Hi all,

I've been given the chance to try Linux on a Sun Fire 280R, I've been
trying for a few weeks (off and on) to get Linux (first SuSE now
Debian) installed on this machine, but I've had no luck, my first question:
Is it even possible to get Linux installed on a SunFire machine? I haven't
seen SunFires listed on any of the FAQ's as supported or not supported.

If it should work, I would be most appreciative of any help you
could give me. In hopes that Linux should work on a SunFire I'm
including the specs and what I've tried... :)

Specs:
    SunFire 280R
    1 UltraSPARC-III+ 900 MHz
    1024MB RAM
    CD/DVD-ROM
    no floppy
    SCSI based system
    openBoot 4.5.10
    POST 4.5.9

So far I've tried the following:

    o CD install of SPARC SuSE 7.3 (burned -- CD ok and bootable)
         o errors: Memory Address not Aligned
                   Fast Data Access MMU Miss

    o network install of SPARC SUSE 7.3 (TFTP w/BOOTP)
         o errors: Invalid Instruction (??)
                   Fast Data Access MMU Miss

    o CD install of SPARC Debian 2.2 (burned -- CD ok and bootable)
         o errors: same as for SuSE

    o network install of SPARC Debian 2.2 (TFTP w/BOOTP)
         o errors: similar to that of the SuSE network install

    o netinst.iso Debian 2.2
         o errors: Memory Address not Aligned
	            Fast Data Access MMU Miss

The name of the file being transferred in the network sessions is C0A801C8
which is in /tftpboot and soft linked to the /tftpboot/sun4u/tftpboot.img

I've tried numerous commands at the openBoot Prompt with little or no effect, and many variations on each "theme" above. Including a suggestion from the list archive about limit-ecache-size (the command doesn't exist on the SunFire because
the SunFire is not effected by this problem/bug)

I have a feeling I'm just missing something simple, but I've been at it so long I
thought I'd get a second opinion from some experts. :)

If I left anything out or I was not clear on some point please let me know I will
do my best to fill in any voids.

Thanks in advance for any help and info!

  ~Brian =)

PS- I do have some knowledge with linux, (Redhat mostly, some SuSE, and a very little Debian... all x86 based machines)