Re: Your password!

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 08:25:46PM +0200, jmt wrote:
> > I agree. Most of the groups I subscribed to reject posts unless sender
> > is registered.
>
> And then people who need help will have to subscribe to the list first,
> which means that most people who need trivial questions answered will
> never ask them.

I think that's a problem.  Some of the lists I've been on will forward
posts from unsubscribed people to a moderator who can filter out the junk,
but you need to have someone willing to moderate the list.  Also, there
have been a few spambots out there smart enough to subscribe to a list
before posting.

I really hate having to subscribe to a list to ask a question.  Often, you
have to subscribe, wait a while for a confirmation, write your message,
then unsubscribe, and possibly confirm that as well.  Not an effort most
people like to make.

--
        Mike Hicks   [mailto:mhicks@csom.umn.edu]
   Unix Support Assistant    | Carlson School of Management