Re: Solaris install through TFTP linux-server

Robert Ian Smit wrote:

I have been able to pick up a Sparcstation 4. In the long run I
intend to use it as a Linux server (or maybe on of the BSDs).

I am trying to install Solaris 8 on a Sparcstation 10 using a Red Hat Linux server. I got it finally to boot. Solaris 9 should be similar.

I can't burn images to cd, so I to mounted the ISO-files
from the harddrive with -o loop. Apart from a few scripts there is not
much I can see. Is my download corrupt or is it impossible to read
these images from Linux?

The Install CD seems to have a really small filesystem. The other two CDs are mountable under Linux and are the ones that are needed.

I have read some of the Solaris docs concerning Install servers. As
I understand it you need a Solaris system to create an Install
server. Is that correct? Is it not possible to boot the Sparcstation
and start the Solaris installation by using Linux as an Install
server?

There are scripts in the Tools directory for creating an install server on Solaris machines. It is possible to create the install server manually on a Linux machine. Doing a network boot is the same for all operating systems. You need rarpd to map ethernet addresses, tftp to load the boot loader, bootparams to send setup info, and nfs for the root filesystems and install products. There are some good web sites about setting this up.

For Solaris, you want to copy the Solaris_8/Tools/Boot directory from the CD to your hard disk, export it through NFS, and set the root in bootparams. I discovered that the no_root_squash option is required.

This is what my /etc/exports file looks like:

/pub 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)
/mnt/cdrom 192.168.1.0/24(ro,no_root_squash,insecure)

and /etc/bootparams:

balrog root=kraken:/pub/solaris/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot \
        install=kraken:/mnt/cdrom/Solaris_8/Product \
        rootopts=:rsize=32768 boottype=:in

 - Ian

--
Ian Burrell