Re: Solaris install through TFTP linux-server

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Robert Ian Smit wrote:

> I can't burn images to cd, so I to mounted the ISO-files
> from the harddrive with -o loop. Apart from a few scripts there is not
> much I can see. Is my download corrupt or is it impossible to read
> these images from Linux?

Is it like this for all of the CDs?  The first one should look pretty
empty, but the others should have directories with a ton of packages in
them.  They're in ISO 9660 format (if I recall correctly), which Linux
should be able to handle just fine.

> I have read some of the Solaris docs concerning Install servers. As
> I understand it you need a Solaris system to create an Install
> server. Is that correct? Is it not possible to boot the Sparcstation
> and start the Solaris installation by using Linux as an Install
> server?

Not likely, especially if you've never even tried it before on Solaris.
It's possible to kludge if you set all the right things correctly (ARP,
reverse ARP, NFS, bootparams, etc.), but it's not something you'll
probably be able to pull off without really thorough experience of how
a Solaris install server works.  None of the scripts that make an install
server easy to set up and maintain will work on Linux (setup_install_server,
add_install_client, etc., are all Solaris-specific enough that they'll
definitely bomb under another OS).  You also probably aren't going to be
able to find any decent documentation to help you out on setting one up
manually, I'm afraid.

If it helps any, I've pulled it off before, but it was a one-shot deal and
I didn't bother documenting it.