rdev under sparc?

I am looking to build a custom boot/root disk under Debian/Sparc.  How
can I go about setting the root device without rdev (which, as I
understand it, only works under i386)?  Or should I be using SILO to do
this (and if so, how)?

On another note, does anyone know how to "piggyback" a ramdisk to the
end of an a.out kernel to create a tftpboot.img?  TILO seems like a good
choice, but only seems to want to use an ELF kernel (and two, at that -
one for sun4cdm and one for sun4u - which I don't need).

Thanks...

Brennan