parport_pc kernel module troubles on SS4

Specs: Sparcstation 4 running Debian Woody
kernel: self-compile 2.4.18 (using gcc 2.95.x, if I remember correctly)

The following modules successfully load:
Sparcstation4:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
lp                      7140   0
parport_sunbpp          2068   1
parport                15872   1  [lp parport_sunbpp]

During the compile of my current kernel (2.4.18), I also compiled all the parallel port modules I could, and parport_pc compiled fine. (and if it didn't, I certainly couldn't find the logfile that gave notice)

Running "insmod parport_pc" gives the following:

Sparcstation4:~# insmod parport_pc
Using /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol parport_pc_find_nonpci_ports /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o: unresolved symbol pci_free_consistent

How can it compile ok then give problems when loading?
More importantly, how can I fix this such that parport_pc will load and work?

(btw, this is all in the effort of getting a parallel port printer to work)

Thanks in advance