Re: kernel 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 for sparc

> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:22:14AM +0100, Paul Hedderly wrote:
>
> | > Got the 2.4.19-pre8-ac5 patch, and tried to apply it on a standard
> | > 2.4.18 kernel tree. I got A LOT of rejects!
> | >
> | > Alan's patches don't seem to be up to the usual standard...
> |
> | You DID apply 2.4.19-pre8 FIRST didn't you...
>
> Isn't the standard to apply patches to 2.4.18?
>
> Of course one might say that each appended -name is a patch to be
> applied to the previous part of the name, but then, that would mean
> -pre9 is a patch to be applied to 2.4.19.  :-)
>
> Actually, what would be nice is a way to document what each patch is
> supposed to be applied to.  This may have been some of the problems I
> had with -ac patches a while back when I first tried some.

I usually check the patch, looking for '/Makefile '. In there they have
removed a 'EXTRAVERSION = ...' and added a new one (look for lines starting
with + and -). The other thing to do when adding a AC patch, is _FIND_
the patch alan used when he created his patch :)

I didn't (at first) find the '-pre8'. I'm not used to look where I eventually
find it. Alan used to create his patch on a standard kernel tree..
--
Cocaine toluene iodine 747 pits subway fissionable president Cuba
World Trade Center SEAL Team 6 domestic disruption Kennedy FBI Marxist