Re: Installation on SPARCSTATION 20

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 12:08:10PM +0200, Tom Deprez wrote:
> First : I'm new to Debian, I'm new to Sparcs, so I'm really a newbie on both
> of these!

Welcome!  Gotta love these 20" screens!

> (I received the sparc, because otherwise they throw it away and I wanted to
> try Debian out,
> since most people tell me it's the best linux os for a server)

Ah, reduce, reuse, recycle.  Good stuff.

> I've followed the installation instructions and all went ok, until the end:
>
> 1. Creating the rescue floppy didn't work :-( It failed every time I tried
> 2. When I try to boot with 'boot disk', I get the following message:
>
> cannot find /vmlinuz (unknown ext2 error)
>
> I'm a little bit stuck here, since nothing is familiar for me. I've looked
> with google for
> answers, but most of them were a little bit cryptic, so I'm not wiser at the
> moment.

Hah!  I've just worked on that very problem.

It seems the kernel gets written to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19-sun4cdm
and a link gets created (see below for how) to link
/boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19.  So the link from vmlinuz
points nowhere.

I fixed this by editing /etc/silo.conf to say:

image=1/vmlinuz-2.2.19-sun4cdm

(it used to say image=1/vmlinuz-2.2.19, or was it just image=1/vmlinuz?
no matter)

You should probably edit it to say 2/vmlinuz-2.2.19-sun4cdm -substitute
your kernel version - I was installing potato stable R 4.

The 1/ and 2/ are which partition the image is on.  In my case boot
is on the first partition so I write 1/vmlinuz-2.2.19-sun4cdm
Your boot is on your second partition so you write 2/vmlinuz-2.2.19-sun4cdm.
Leave off the /boot part of the path, because that's _not_ on your
second partition.  Your vmlinuz image really is at the top of your
second partition.

Note that I put /boot on the first partition because I wanted to make
absolutely sure that the image would be at the beginning of the disk.
But your arrangement puts the image close enough to the beginning of
the disk so you don't need to re-arrange it now that it's done.

> Then I created the following partitions:
>
> sb1 50 MB /
> sb2 16 MB /boot
> sb3 the special partition
> sb4 128 MB swap
> sb5 100 MB /home
> sb6 rest of the 2.1 GB /usr
>
> sba1 4.1 GB /var
> sba2 special partition
>
> This is mainly a server for the intranet, I hope my partitioning is ok. If
> not, please give some
> advice. Highly appreciated!

No special partition for /tmp, so it will share /, and you have only 50MB for /
Well I've never run a dedicated server, but I'm wondering if you haven't
skimped a bit on /tmp space.  Servers may (or may not, depending on how
you've configured them) use a fair chunk of /tmp space.

Also you can configure some servers to run as their own user, so they might
need space in /home.  Eg, amanda (a tape backup software) might be installed/
configured to run as user amanda.  This is handy to keep servers from
tromping on each others files, either inadvertently or as a way to
limit the damage that a cracker can do once they "own" a server.
Of course you can always set their accounts in /usr... not sure
what the FSH has to say about this topic.

Maybe someone more experienced with servers/security can comment.

> Now, my questions:
>
> What did I do wrong?

I think there's a wee bug in the install program, you didn't do anything
wrong.  This bug only seems to show up when you have a separate boot partition,
as you noticed.

> Why couldn't I create the rescue floppy? Is there a way to still create it?
> How can I proceed with the installation?

I don't have a floppy drive in my SS20, sorry can't help you here.

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 07:19:26PM +0200, Tom Deprez wrote:
> Thanks for your response!
> Can you give me how to create that  symlink ?

ln -s old new

ln(1)  (To read the man page for ln, type 'man ln' at the prompt.)

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org