Re: xdm and gpm questions

Michael Mueller wrote:

> When I power up my Ultra5 both gpm and xdm are running and they evidently do
> not play nicely together.  I telnet in to the Ultr5 from another system,
> become root, and issue
>
> $ /etc/init.d/xdm stop
> $ /etc/init.d/gpm stop
>
> Then I log in to my user account on the Ultra5 and run startx and go about my
> business.
>
> I thought I answered "no" to starting xdm during installation.
>
> How do I prevent xdm and gpm from starting during initialization?
>
> Is update-rc.d involved?

You can remove the startup links for gdm with the command

# update-rc.d -f gdm remove

but first I would do as you normally do, then start xdm again

# /etc/init.d/xdm start

and see if that works for you.  If it does work, then you can use the
command above to put a stop to gdm starting on init, but leave X to
start on init.  If you ever need gdm, you can always start it by hand
with the command

# /etc/init.d/gdm start