Re: CDROM booting issues for Linux on Sparc

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:07:11PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:

| ### Setup the iso image
| # mkdir sparc-iso/boot sparc-iso/etc
| # cp /boot/vmlinux /boot/second.b sparc-iso/boot
| # cp silo-initrd.conf sparc-iso/etc/silo.conf
| # cp initrd-image sparc-iso/boot
|
| ### Create the ISO using normal sparc boot options
| # mkisofs -G /boot/cd.b -B ... -o sparc-bootable.iso sparc-iso/
|
| ### Make the image bootable
| # silo-mkcdboot --second /boot/second.b --config /etc/silo.conf sparc-bootable.iso
|
| The second tool has yet to be developed. I have in fact already begun
| checking out how to do this and including it with SILO. It would
| alleviate all the needed things in mkisofs. You are more than welcome to
| complete it if you want.

Why not combine cd.b and second.b into a single boot image, and
put that into the partition(s) behind the ISO image?  To do this,
change cd.b slightly so it looks for second.b 16 sectors after
its own location, i.e. 16 sectors from the start of the boot
partition.  I assume second.b already knows to go back to sector
0 to find the ISO filesystem regardles of where it was loaded
from.  Then you can just do:

mkdir sparc-iso/boot sparc-iso/etc
cp /boot/vmlinux sparc-iso/boot
cp silo-initrd.conf sparc-iso/etc/silo.conf
cp initrd-image sparc-iso/boot
cat cd.b second.b >sparc.b
mkisofs -B sparc.b,... -o sparc-bootable.iso sparc-iso/

... and it's done.  OK, what have I left out?