From: david howe [mailto:david@ptvproductions.com.au]
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 7:24 PM
To: cstone@hms.com
Cc: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: testing on Ultra 5

On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 10:44, Chris Stone wrote:
> I just installed Debian on my Ultra5 and have been really fighting to
> get X working correctly. It DID detect my Mach64 card ok. Fought with
> the mouse being erratic until I set the protocol to Microsoft - and
> now it works fine (so far) even though it's a Sun PS/2 mouse plugged
> into my keyboard.
>
> Not the real problem (other then some tweaking changes to the video
> mode settings - suggestions welcome), is that the keyboard mapping is
> all screwed up. I have in XF86Config:
>
> Section "Keyboard"
> 	Protocol "Standard"
> 	XkbDisable
> 	XbkKeyMap "xfree86(en_US)"
> EndSection
>
> Suggestions? What's anyone else with Debian (potato) on an SPARC
> Ultra5 using?
>

> Chris Stone, MCSE
> High Mountain Software
> SpamEater Pro - http://www.spameaterpro.com/spameater.asp
> iSpeed for Windows - http://www.hms.com/ispeed.asp

listmaster@lists.debian.org

FWIW...

I had a similar problem on my ultra5 initially

The last install of XFree required that I compile a 2.4 version of the
kernel and for good measure I also changed the screen environment in the
sparc nvram using the setenv command at the ok prompt.

It seems to me that Xanxious (or whatever) successfully detects the ATI
chip but something at a kernel level renders it invisible to Xfree.

No amount of jigging the XFree config settings made X work until I
recompiled the kernel. I have previously replied to the list on this
subject with log outputs etc (about 2 months ago).

david