Re: local APT problems

> I don't have this command on my system and can't seem to find a source for
> it.

This is why www.debian.org has a "search by filename" feature.

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=dpkg-scanpackages&searchmode=searchfilesanddirs&subword=1&version=stable&release=all

But really, unless you're re-downloading them a lot and want to
maintain a local apt-source [which you may want to do, it's just a bit
much work for just a couple of debs], you probably just want to use
dpkg -i for the downloaded ones -- even if they fail with lack of
dependencies, apt-get upgrade (or aptitude upgrade) should then pull
those in too (I've found this useful when testing packages with lots
of dependencies before...)