Re: Assorted Bus Errors - common problem?

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 07:19:00AM -0500, MIke Culbertson wrote:
> I understand this may sound vague, but bear with me.  If I provided all the
> relevant data, this mail would be massive.
> I am running several sparc boxes of assorted type and kernel (SS20 w/2.2.20,
> U10 w/ 2.4.17, etc.)  and I am running into bus errors in several places.  A
> common one is with nmap and tcpdump; if I portscan localhost, nmap functions
> fine, if I scan a remote host, it dies with a bus error; if I tcpdump a
> specific interface with no filter, it works fine, if I tcpdump and filter by
> host, bus error.  Now I am seeing bus errors using apache+php4, apparently
> when using some of the IMAP or LDAP functions (I haven't fully investigated
> that one yet).
> The general question I am asking is whether or not these bus errors are a
> common sparc/linux related problem, or if it is something uncommon that may
> be related to a specific configuration/software version/kernel.  I would
> just as soon see if this is a core problem with sparc/linux before I clutter
> the lists with 100 strace outputs.  I will, however, be more than happy to
> provide any info if someone wants to see it.  Thanks in advance.

They are a common sparc problem, but not a problem in sparc.

The basic issue is unaligned data being accessed in the program, which
is a bug in that program (one which doesnt' show on i386 for example). I
believe the nmap/tcpdump issue is fixed. I am using both fine now
(update to the latest woody or sid).

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '