Does boehm-gc (e.g. in gcc-3.1) work for sun4m running Woody?

This was on a Debian Woody (test release) sun4m system using

binutils                           2.11.92.0.12.3-6
dejagnu                            1.4.2-1
gcc                                2.95.4-9 (Debian prerelease)
kernel-image-2.2.20-sun4dm-smp     9
libc6                              2.2.5-3

While trying to bootstrap gcc-3.1 and running its test suite, I see a
test failure running the gctest. Contacts with Hans Boehm yeilds
something severely wrong, perhaps with pthreads in the kernel.

I'm far too simple a programming guy to be able to sort this out
myself so I call for help.

As Hans wrote me:

This is a 32-bit binary?

It would be interesting to know what happens if you download

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/gc_source/gc6.1alpha3.tar.gz

unpack it, and type "make test".  Does it fail the same way?

There are some general debugging hints for the collector in

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/debugging.html

Since I don't have access to a similar system, I will need more details ...

Hans