Video Help

I have a Ultra5 running Debian 2.2r4, using the onboard video adapter.  I am
trying to add a PCI adapter to help improve my viewing.  Here is what I have
done so far.

Powered down and added the card and moved the cable to the new card.  Upon
reboot I get nothing on the monitor.  I then moved the cable back to the
working motherboard adapter and rebooted again. It locked up at loading
SILO.  I then removed the new card and I am back to square one.  I know that
card works because I did plug it into a Windoze machine.

I am stumped. Please help.

Chris.