tftp install on IPX

I have an IPX which I have previously had RH 6.0 running on and wanted to
try Debian, so I downloaded the latest tftpboot.img file and gave it a
try.

After some fiddling with my server, I got rarp and tftp working, the IPX
downloads the image OK.

Unfortunately the system hangs after the "Booting Linux ..." prompt, no
further messages. I check the image by downloading it again, it seems fine.
The system originally had 20 MB (16 in slot 0, 4 in slot 1) so I moved the
4 to slot 2 as per the recommendations in the install manual, no difference,
also tried it with just the 16 in slot 0. Default video on the main board,
completely stock system (I think)

The instructions say 12 MB is the minimum required and I have 16 at least, does
the latest image require more memory than documented ?

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

					... Niall