Re: 2.4.20 kernel link failure: undefined reference to `_mcount'

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 05:17:29PM +0000, Dave Love wrote:
 > Holt Sorenson <hso@nosneros.net> writes:
 >
 > > I'm attempting to compile kernel 2.4.20 on a sun ultra 2 using
 > > gcc-3.0 (3.0.4) from debian gnu/linux sparc woody 3.0r0.
 >
 > Don't.  Use `egcs64' -- see archives of this list.  Does the procedure

ah ha. The magic foo. Thanks! I tried searching the archives but
the search function on debian.org didn't return anything useful.

I tried things like 'kernel compile' and 'kernel'.

 > in the kernel section of the Debian FAQ not work?  If it doesn't,
 > please make a bug report.

Are you referring to "9.2 What tools does Debian provide to build custom
kernels?" I haven't used it. I'm used to my old ways that grew from
using slackware. Thanks for pointing me towards a new trick. I'll give
it a go and adopt it if I'm happy with the process.

I just started using debian-sparc. I have used debian-i386 for quite
some time now, so I've had a few very minor bumps including this one
as I transition. Thanks for helping me knock one out.

 > [What's the advantage of that kernel over the latest Debian package
 > anyway?]

2.4.20 itself may or may not have significant advantages. I didn't
work really hard at comparing it to 2.4.18. I'm patching it
to support filesystem acls and exploring patching gr-security
into it. With patches that aren't part of the mainstream kernel,
it has been my experience that using the most recent patch with
the most recent kernel is generally a good idea.

 > > The linux kernel faq (http://www.wsinf.edu.pl/doc/doc-linux-html/FAQ/Linux-FAQ-8.html)
 > > suggests that the linker is using a static libc for linking.

 > I don't think that's a kernel FAQ, despite the name.

Ack. Thanks.