RE: Network Issues w/ Ultra 10

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 15:32, Jonathan wrote:
> I am running 2.4.18 on an Ultra 10 and have not experienced this problem on
> the happymeal NIC, nor on the added 3c59x and Intel EEPro/100 cards.  Is
> this only for connections out from the machine, or in to it as well?  Are
> you expereincing delays with things other than ssh?  I know that it takes my
> box 5 to 10 seconds to negotiate a ssh link when I ssh in or out (probably
> the math involved in the key exchange), but this delay doesn't affect any
> other network activity.

Yes, I am experiencing a delay with just about everything I do on the
network.  Using a mounted NFS share on another machine seems a lot
slower than it should be.  I have also used SWAT with this machine, and
that was often unusably slow.  Ping times seem to be just fine however.

> Is it possible you're experiencing a DNS-related problem?  Is the delay
> nearly exactly 30 or 60 seconds?

I wouldn't imagine so, since this is a private network with only 4
machines.  I've got everything in a hosts file.

The delay with ssh is usually in the range of [25, 40] seconds.  Perhaps
it can be even more, but since I've been experimenting with time, 30-35
seconds seems to be the norm.

--
Brian Connelly
NetNITCO Internet Services