Re: audio cd on ultra 5

> I'd like to hear this confirmed from other sources, but I think the
> problem is that the audio output on the drive is not connected to the
> sound hardware on the motherboard.  It appears that the cs4231 chipset
> supports this, but I have never seen a stock Sun connected this way,
> and I've had trouble even finding motherboard jacks for it (SS5, U1,
> U10).  You probably could get XMMS to play -- I think there's an
> option to extract the digital audio data and dump it to the sound
> hardware (effectively, ripping it to play it.)  I gave up and just
> ripped all my CD's to MP3's, which is more flexible anyway.

Are we talking something isn't soldered together in there?  Or that ultra
5's don't ship with an audio cable, or something else entirely?

I'm a little leary of accidently killing my uptime & not looking forward
to moving the 19" monitor on top of the thing.

I'd be listening to mp3s too, but my mp3 machine is down right now, so I
thought I'd pop in an audio cd...

> did, "Howdy, neighbor!" -- I'm in Rochester.

Howdy neighbor!  Good to see some local intelligence out there!

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst
1 College Circle - 124b1 South Hall