[SOLVED] Re: boot installation doesn't boot

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 10:26:55PM -0400, Kevin Coyner wrote......

> > > A little more info after having tried something else ....
> > >
> > > I put the Debian rescue floppy in and typed 'boot' at the ok prompt.
> > > The rescue disk brought me to the Debian prompt.  So at the boot: prompt
> > > I typed
> > >
> > > boot: linux root=/dev/sda1
> > >
> > > and it loaded from the HD!  This allowed me to complete the install
> > > process and get the system working!  So that's the good news.
> > >
> > > But now, when I reboot the system, I'm still getting the Can't read disk
> > > label, etc error messages, so I'd still like to resolve this.
> >
> > Try changing the boot device in the Openprom to point to the HD, not to
> > the floppy.
> > prob should go away
> >

> I made the change to the prom (setenv boot-device disk) and now it tries
> reading from the HD.  Unfortunately, no it gives an error message
> "Illegal instruction".  I'm only guessing at this point, but I think
> it's looking for SILO.conf and either not finding it or getting bad
> instructions from it.  Does this sound plausible?

SOLVED !!!  It wasn't silo.conf at all.  Like I mention above, I changed
the prom to point to the HD by executing

setenv boot-device disk

at the prom OK prompt.  This, however, still produced the "Illegal
Inststruction" error message every time I rebooted.   In my pouring
through the results of a lot of Goggling, I did find one small comment
that suggested trying the following

setenv boot-device disk1:1

and to my surprise, this worked!  I guess the reference to disk, and not
disk1:1, was just too general.

Happily enjoying Debian now on my ancient Sun!

Kevin