Re: boot installation doesn't boot

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 12:07:52AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote......

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 12:07:36AM -0400, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> >
> > Problem:  I'm trying to install Debian onto an old SparcStation 20 via
> > CDROM, but the disk doesn't boot.
>
> Can you verify that the drive works with CDRWs?  The OEM Solaris CD is
> not a CDRW.  Drives the age of an SS20 sometimes have troubles with
> CDRs or CDRWs.

I tried burning to a CDR and still didn't have success.  So instead I
tried a different strategy:  boot from rescue and root floppies, and
then install via HTTP/FTP to debian.org.  This worked in that the files
got downloaded and installed, but on first reboot, I got the following:

Boot device:  /obio/SUNW,fdtwo File and args:
Can't read disk label.
Can't open Sun disk label package
Can't open boot device

... and am left at the ok boot prompt.

So it feels as if I've taken a couple step forward, but slipped a step
back too.

Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks
Kevin