Sound on UltraSparc and kernel 2.4.18

I had posted a while ago about having issues getting sound to work
properly while running kernel 2.4.18 on UltraSparc.  Well, I finally
figured it out, and I thought I'd post for the archives.

It turns out that the defaults (upon boot) for the registers that
'audioctl' manipulates are different.  Under 2.2.20, the sound
hardware defaults to a state that allows you to hear sounds through
the internal speaker with no changes.  Under 2.4.18, in the default
state, the output is both muted, and the output port is set to
'nothing'.  I had to change the following 'audioctl' registers (which
I set in /etc/default/audioctl):

output_muted=1  -->  output_muted=0
play.port=0x0   -->  play.port=0x1

I probably would have noticed this sooner, but the typical "mixer"
apps did very Bad Things under kernel 2.2.x, so I learned not to use
them.  They appear to work quite well under 2.4.x, although a little
differently than Intel hardware.  (This applies to both standalone
mixers like 'gmix' and 'aumix', and the mixer functions built into
'xmms' and 'mp3blaster'.)

Later,
  Rob.