Re: build kernel 2.4.19

try this  one from Ben:
<snip>
If you are using Debian, I strongly suggest using the kernel-package
package. It simplifies building, installing and managing your kernel
images. You would just do something like this:

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig (again, whatever you prefer)
make-kpkg kernel-image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-x.x.x_sparc.deb

Much simpler. Then you can install multiple versions, and use any of
them by having them in /etc/silo.conf or just change the symlink (or
just use the silo command line). You can also easily remove them, just
like any other package. It also saves the configuration of that kernel
as /boot/config-x.x.x.

Ben
<snap>