Re: NCPFS, anyone?

On  5 Sep 02 at 19:45, Roy Bixler wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 05:53:26PM -0500, Roy Bixler wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten NCPFS mounts to work in Woody?  Actually, I have but
> > only on my old '386 box.  However, on the Sparc, I get this:
> >
> > # ncpmount -S server -U rcb -A server /mnt
> > Logging into SERVER as RCB
> > Password: ********
> > ncpmount: Invalid argument in mount(2)
> >
> > A 'dmesg' command shows the following:
> > ncp_read_super: kernel requires mount version 3

It should work, but only if you are using sparc binary on sparc kernel,
or sparc64 binary on sparc64 kernel, otherwise sizeof(int), sizeof(long),
sizeof(__kernel_uid_t) and other may differ between kernel and user. I have
patch to ncpfs & kernel (2.5.x) to pass mount options through ASCII string,
if you are interested.

But before you'll try that, try first
"ncpmount -S server -U rcb -A server -3 /mnt" and
"ncpmount -S server -U rcb -A server -4 /mnt".

2.4.x kernels should use mount version 4 (which allows for 32bit uid/gid),
but if you'll look at arch/sparc64/kernel/sys_sparc32.c,
do_ncp_super_data_conv, you'll find that this function (1) does not check
version at all, (2) works only with -3 version, and (3) I do not see where
this function actually copies unchanged members: version, ncp_fd, time_out,
retry_count and flags... But if you'll rebuild ncpmount as a 64bit binary,
problems should disappear without need to fix kernel.
                                                Petr Vandrovec
                                                vandrove@vc.cvut.cz