NOTE: XFree86 ATI Rage128 and Radeon support to be dropped for SPARC

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 11:44:21PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> >  I believe the firmware on these cards are written in ix86 code, so
> > these cards will not run on the SPARC.
>
> Evil, evil boards with closed firmware.
>
> BTW, what about using a apple radeon board, they most assuredly don't
> have ix86 firmware, but then maybe all the intialization is done in the
> OF driver or whatever.

Okay, well, I've only heard about possible theoretical usage of Rage128
or Radeon boards in SPARCs, so I am likely going to accept
ISHIKAWA-san's patch.

Michel is right about how the rage128 and radeon sub-drivers should
guard their vgaHW calls (vgaHW support is *not* defined for all
architectures; see xc/config/cf/xfree86.cf).  However I'm in a hurry to
crank 0pre1v4 and I really want it compiling again on SPARC.

Those of you interested in rage128 and radeon support on SPARCs, please
tear into the code.  Give me something that isn't ugly and compiles and
I'm happy to turn this stuff back on.

I will note that a lot of the recent rage128 and radeon code comes from
an actual ATI employee; it may be that they are not thinking very far
beyond the i386 and powerpc architectures.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The only way to get rid of a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       temptation is to yield to it.