Compiling 2.4.18 kernel for U1

Hi

Having had problems installing Woody on my U1 (possibly due to unnecessary
drivers compiled into the kernel) I have been trying to compile a more
stripped down version (minus PCI, IDE, etc).  I am running a fairly minimal
install of Potato while I'm trying to do this.

The compile fails with:

in function 'emulate_raw'
undefined reference to 'handle_scancode'

in function 'keybdev_init'
undefined reference to 'kbd_ledfunc'

I found a reference on another list that suggested it could be a USB issue,
but all the USB options in menuconfig seem to be inactive.  I am new to
kernel compiling, but I am reasonably sure I have set everything up
properly; kernel-package and so on.

...appreciate any advice

-Stu