Re: Linux on a SunFire 280R?

On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 15:46, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 05:55:42PM +0000, Brian Milco wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been given the chance to try Linux on a Sun Fire 280R, I've been
> > trying for a few weeks (off and on) to get Linux (first SuSE now
> > Debian) installed on this machine, but I've had no luck, my first question:
> > Is it even possible to get Linux installed on a SunFire machine? I haven't
> > seen SunFires listed on any of the FAQ's as supported or not supported.
> >
> > If it should work, I would be most appreciative of any help you
> > could give me. In hopes that Linux should work on a SunFire I'm
> > including the specs and what I've tried... :)
> >
> > Specs:
> >     SunFire 280R
> >     1 UltraSPARC-III+ 900 MHz
>
> I haven't heard of this working. I know we support UltraSPARC III
> though.

UltraSPARC III+ is currently unsupported. DaveM confirmed this for me a
while back, when I was trying to do the same thing. Nothing will install
on it until the kernel gets code for that CPU.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot