Re: Installing Woody on Ultra 1 - hangs after root floppy inserted

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 07:17:59PM +0100, Stu Yarrow wrote:
> On 22/7/02 18:41, "Ben Collins" <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 06:48:59PM +0100, Stu Yarrow wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I know this problem has been brought up a few times before, but I have not
> >> been able to solve it yet on my machine...
> >
> > Can you burn a CD? If so, grab the netinst.iso from my site aswell.
> > Image contains just the kernel and root image, so the rest of the
> > packages will be installed from http.
>
> The CD drive in my U1 is dodgy at best; it usually takes several attempts to
> get it to read CD-Rs, even good quality ones burnt slowly. I have never been
> able to get it to boot off any CD; Solaris, Potato, or the netinst one that
> you mention.

Damn. Yeah, if you can't boot Solaris, you surely wont be able to boot
Linux from CD.

Ok. Well, I've never tested the floppy booting, because I don't have a
machine capable of doing it. So if someone willing wants to fiddle
around with the boot-floppies package (particularly the part that
creates the rescue disk, which is where it gets the options for the
initrd, and other things) then feel free to do so.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/