Really silly mouse question

Yesterday I was looking at the Debian sparc/linux login prompt for
the first time. One of the first things I did was to install the X
window system. Consequently I got to use the mouse on a Sparcstation
for the first time. At least I hoped to.

When I move the mouse or click a button I see some response on the
screen. Since all the gear I have is previously owned I am not sure
if it's physically working like it should. With a lot of effort I
can get the mouse pointer to move vertically a few inches,
horizontally the pointer does not move. Clicking the buttons, works
like it should.

When I look at the bottom of my mouse I see it's a Mouse Systems
Model M4 (Sun 370-1170-01). Only one led is shining. I don't have a
special mouse pad. What do you think? Should I be investigating the
software part of my problem or the hardware?

Bob