Printing with CUPS on SPARCClassic

Good [morning | afternoon | evening] to everyone.

Recently I managed to install Woody on one SPARCClassic box that was
left for ages in our office. I thought about some use for it and came up
with idea of printserver. So I installed CUPS (to satisfy also W2K
colleagues) and tried to print. After some time I found out that the
parallel port module is not lp.o but bpp.o and finally got the printer to
print plain text by "cat file.txt > /dev/lp0". (Text file with CRLF like
in MS-DOS).

But when I tried to print test page from CUPS or anything else via cups it
printed lots of garbage. I tried several drivers (cupsys-pstoraster and
cupsys-driver-gimpprint) without success. It seems like parts of the data
get lost because there are parts of the printed page interleaved with
whitespace or garbage (sometimes).

I was trying also to use GhostScript to prepare PCL files that the printer
understands and cat them to /dev/lp0 with the same result. Amazingly
dvilj4 output was printed fine.

The same printer and version of CUPS work fine on PC hardware (with
Mandrake linux).

I searched a lot in archives and found someone reporting similar problem
years ago. Has anyone had the same problem and knows the solution? For now
it seems to be kernel or hardware problem.

Thanks for any help

					Vladislav "Vladki" Kurz
--
E-mail:	vladislav.kurz@lut.fi