Printing on Ultra 30

Hi:
I've searched thru the archives for help on this, but
I am still confused.  I'm rather new to running
Debian on an UltraSparc, so forgive my confusion.
I'm currently running Woody using the 2.4.18 kernel.
I wanted to use the system as a print server for
my lab, but I am unable to make it print to a
printer attached the parallel port.

My questions are:
Is printing supported in Woody?  If so what
steps do I need to take to make it work?

My search thru the list archives make me think
that I will have to recompile the kernel with
some options set.  Also, I will have to run
MAKEDEV to create certain devices, and add
some modules to modules.conf.

When I tried modprobe, I found that bpp
and parport_ax are not found.  parport_pc,
parport, and lp were found, though.

Any help will be appreciated.
-Sageev