Audio issues

When I play sounds via the multimedia control panel in Gnome, I can hear them through my main center speaker on my Ultra2, but when I close the panel, I don't hear any of the sounds like for starting up or shutting down or clicking on things, etc. Why aren't the sounds sticking? Also, how do I get them to come out of the speaker/headphone port in the back? Has anybody successfully gotten the volume keys to work on a Type 5 keyboard?

Mario