Re: 2.4.x on sun4cdm? (Sparc station 2)

"David J. M. Karlsen" wrote:

> I've tried to compile 2.4.17 - and boot from it. Compiling works fine -
> and a nice kernel-image*deb comes out. But on reboot the machine hangs
> right after the xxx kb freed. (when washing away obsolete kernel syms).
>
> Doesn't the 2.4.x series run on 4cdm?

This is a "known" problem - it seems that 2.4.17 doesn't boot on any
sun4c box. You can subscribe to sparclinux@vger.kernel.org or
have a look at the list archive (don't ask me where you can find
it - I don't know :). On Jan 13th there was a thread about that
problem and right now the sun4m people have similar troubles with
their boxes.
The last thing Rob Radez wrote was "PS. What's the last good kernel
people have had booting up on a SS2?" - but no answer to this
on the list. I wanted to try some older sources but while compiling
2.4.2 one harddisk of my SS2 died and I didn't have the time to
replace it. But from monday on I'll try some older versions...

Regards,
Andreas