Re: Sun Support for Linux

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> I posted once stating that SUN would do good to invest in Linux on
> Sparc hardware to help salvage the possibly soon to come "Sparc
> Auctions" but my idea wasn't received well.  Jeez I see companies
> with hundred of thousands of dollars of pre-existing sparc hardware
> just waiting to install a Sparc version of Linux but Sun as we know
> it doesn't have a Linux release for Sparc.  For orientation purposes
> I posted the url of http://www.ultralinux.org/

It would be simple for them to pay something like $500K a year to RedHat
for the inclusion of a Sparc version in any release.  No support issues,
no product hassles, and hundreds of college kids getting hooked on Sparc
with all those old systems sitting on the shelves...

They would sell a heck of a lot more low end systems with Linux than with
Solaris....  We have both flavors, and Solaris is only run on the systems
that require it.  Linux is our OS of choice.  (Except from some SunOS
4.1.4 systems that refuse to retire. <grin>)

Bob
Bob Van Cleef, Systems Administrator             (408) 734-8100
MicroUnity, Inc.                             FAX (408) 734-8136
376 Martin Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95050  vancleef@microunity.com