Re: Sun Support for Linux

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Bob Van Cleef wrote:

> Has anyone seen any indication of a sea change since the press release
> stating the Sun was embracing Linux?

Yes, and it was quite disturbing that Sun is planning to release new
systems based not on the Sparc architecture, but the x86 one! When I read
that I was a little confused, but since Sun has this alliance with the
other big iron companies which will see it move away from Ultrasparc
processors, it's hardly surprising to see Sun getting into bed with the
company that provides the foundation for their opposite number (ie.
Megasloth Windoze Xtremely Pathetic).

I've seen the annoucements on of the latest additions to the
Ultrasparc-III servers, and I wonder if this will be the last progression
for the Ultrasparc processors? I know Sun Labs were working on the
Ultrasparc-IV processor but I heard it was stopped in favour of going with
something from Intel. Any truth to that?

> A quick look at the Linux pages on the Sun.COM website last week did not
> turn up anything other than the annoucement.
>
> 	http://www.sun.com/2002-0206/linux/
>
> The "expanding the role of linux on entry level servers" sounds promising
> in relation to my Blade-100 problems.

It's good for Sparc platforms I guess. I do wonder though which of the
'flavours' of Linux Sun plans to take on board?

Regards,

Craig.

--
  Craig Ian Dewick (craig@lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
  APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP).