Re: Problems with e450 and Symbios 22801 controller...

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 07:01:35AM -0800, Brian Macy wrote:
> I'm completely at a loss on this one... I am trying to get this e450
> running linux but am troubled with SCSI timeouts. I actually have linux
> installed and running great by removing the 2 Symbios cards (53c876 rev
> 0x14) in the box and using the on-board SCSI controller (53c875 rev
> 0x03). The problem is that one of the reasons for using the box
> (intended CVS and NFS server) is the ability to put 20 drives in the box
> using the additional backplanes.
>
> If I simply put a Symbios card in the box I start getting SCSI timeouts
> and can not successfully boot. I've tried this with the Debian potato,
> woody, and Ben Collins latest tftp image as well as the Debian potato,
> woody, and my customer built 2.4.16 kernels. I've also tried playing
> with the sym53c8xx driver parameters as well as using the old ncr53c8xx
> driver.

In the newer kernels (2.4.17-pre?) you'll find a symbios-2 driver. Try
that instead of the current symbios driver. FYI, I'm using it on an
Ultra60 with dual CPU's on a 250gig A1000 array (differential) with an
add-on symbios card.

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \