Type 4 Optical Mouse & SS2

Hi, having just completed my installation of debian on a SparkStation2 that
I acquired I was upset taht I couldnt' move my mouse (all the buttons work).
I thought that it was stuffed but now realise that I don't have the pad for
it. (its an optical mouse)

Where do I go from here?
1) I pressume its not worth buying a type4 pad.
2) What other types of mouse/keyboard are compatible with a SS2 ie. type 5/6
etc
3) Where could I buy a mechanical version? Currently looking on Ebay.
4) If I cut out the spacer in a PS2 plug, could I use it & what
functionality would  it lack. ie 6 pins instead of 8.

Thanks,

  Damian Del Campo,  B.Eng (Comp Sys - Hons)
  Software Engineer,  SAGRN Project
  Phone  	08 8401 7037	(Flinders St)
  Fax      	08 8231 1385
  E-mail  	Damian.DelCampo@team.telstra.com