Re: installing debian from PC

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 12:31:22PM +0200, Martin 'pisi' Paljak wrote:
> Hello!
> Ia have a sparcstation ipc, and I'd like to run debian on it. But the
> problem is that I dont have a MAU to connect it to the lan and also the
> floppy drive doesnt work. Could I somehow install linux on it (especially,
> make the harddisk bootable) using an ibm pc ? (What I mean can I prepare
> the scsi hdd using a i386 and then put it back into the sparcstation and
> boot it up ?)

It's possible, but a real pain in the ass. To make it bootable, you'll
need to use intelsilo. To setup the disk, you'll Sun disk label support
in your PC's kernel. To install the tarball, you'll need to understand
the intricacies of the setup process.

You'd be better off finding a SCSI CDROM drive to boot of of.

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \