asynchronus device / not block device

I installed debian potato to a SS2 off of a CDrom. When the installation
reboots and starts the package installation, it can't mount the CDrom.

It says that the CDrom is "not a block device". What does this mean?

Figuring that maybe my CD rom is problem, I watched all the startup messages
and noticed that all my hard drives get listed as "syhchronus device"s and
then it shows their bandwidth whereas my CD rom says its "asynchronus". Is
this correct ?

Can anybody help ?

  Damian Del Campo,  B.Eng (Comp Sys - Hons)
  Software Engineer,  SAGRN Project
  Phone  	08 8401 7037	(Flinders St)
  Fax      	08 8231 1385
  E-mail  	Damian.DelCampo@team.telstra.com