Re: debian / solaris

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 04:12:44AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> What's wrong with Solaris' package system?  I found in two seconds a
> web site with a large number of the most common packages used in
> linux and freebsd packaged for Solaris package system.  They worked
> great and I didn't have to spend precious time porting a package
> system meant for some other operating system.

Well, first off, I don't think my Solaris 7 boxes came with anything
in /usr/local/pkg, or maybe I misunderstand. I used sunfreeware.com
quite a bit right when I first got the systems, but (as I recall, and
I could definitely be wrong or have had something else out of place)
gcc looked like a cross-compiler to some ./configure scripts, I never
managed to get some of the high-end stuff like gimp to work at all, a
few packages like mpage had defaults that I didn't like, and
/usr/local just started to become a serious mess between sunfreeware's
packages, my own builds of various packages, and local scripts.

Once I just started building my own packages, stow makes things much
more manageable, for example:

mwr@ch208l:/usr/local/bin$ ls -g perl gzip ar gcc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         28 Oct  8 11:39 ar -> ../stow/binutils-2.11/bin/ar
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         26 Jul 25 19:31 gcc -> ../stow/gcc-2.95.3/bin/gcc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         28 Jun  8 14:10 gzip -> ../stow/gzip-1.2.4a/bin/gzip
lrwxrwxrwx   1 other         27 Jun 11 22:42 perl -> ../stow/perl-5.6.0/bin/perl

If I cd to /usr/local/stow and 'stow --delete gzip-1.2.4a', then 'stow
gzip-1.2.5a' (if that version ever exists), I've just upgraded gzip
without having any dangling cruft in /usr/local. Plus, I can see
exactly what package owns what files in /usr/local.

In any case, pkg may be a valid solution, but it didn't work for
me. Loic was asking for "something to take care of /usr/local/pkg and
/usr/dangerous/pkg for generic and homegrew packages", and I think
this fits the bill unless he's talking about precompiled packages from
sunfreeware or elsewhere.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu