Re: debian / solaris

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 08:54:19AM -0600, Alvaro F. Figueroa Cabezas wrote:
> > loic@olsen.ch wrote:
> > > This sounds pretty much like:
> > > ftp://marcus.seva.net/pub/debian/debian-solaris-sparc/
> > Yes. Thanks for the link. I'll have a look.
> > It seems rather old though (1998), and not maintained any more.
>
> Are you (or any one on the list) interested in mantainig this? (I'm just
> curious)

I did this original setup. If you want to produce new packages, I'd be
more than happy to update the site.

> > Feel free to comment or to give ideas.
>
> Well I hope not to be spammed because of this, but please read
> http://www.slackware.com/forum/read.php?f=6&i=723&t=595 and
> http://www.slackware.com/forum/read.php?f=6&i=740&t=595
>
> But if someone would port a Linux distribution to work with the Solaris
> kernel, they would have to consider at least this aspects.

There was recently (within the past few days) patches sent to the glibc
list to make glibc compile on Solaris. IMO, once that is done, the rest
of the system becomes pretty easy to do. I'm not particularly interested
in it. The only positives you get are the Solaris kernel and complete
UFS support, and my time is better spent on Linux (but others may have
their own agenda :)

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \