Re: Compiling a kernel

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 11:28:50PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> This isn't Debian-specific, but I hope someone here can help me.
>
> I've been running Linux on Sparc for a year or so now, and have never
> once managed to compile a working kernel.  I follow the instructions
> to the letter, but always end up with an unbootable file.
>
> I believe that the problem lies in the final linking stage, as I do
> end up with a .../arch/sparc/boot/vmlinux file, but it's relocatable
> and not stripped.  Any pointers on how to fix it?
>
> I really need a new 2.4.x kernel so that I can make better use of my
> Sparcbook.  2.2 kernels leave me using the slooooow PROM console instead
> of a framebuffer, and make the machine run VERY hot which I am told is
> fixed by new idling magic.

No, what you end up with there is a vmlinux.o file, which is not the
kernel. What you want is the vmlinux file in the root of the build. Just
do this:

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig (or whatever you use)
make dep
make vmlinux
cp vmlinux /boot/
make modules
make modules_install

If you are using Debian, I strongly suggest using the kernel-package
package. It simplifies building, installing and managing your kernel
images. You would just do something like this:

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig (again, whatever you prefer)
make-kpkg kernel-image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-x.x.x_sparc.deb

Much simpler. Then you can install multiple versions, and use any of
them by having them in /etc/silo.conf or just change the symlink (or
just use the silo command line). You can also easily remove them, just
like any other package. It also saves the configuration of that kernel
as /boot/config-x.x.x.

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \