Re: 2.4.10 SMP crashes on E250

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 06:09:09PM +0200, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	Hope all is well.
>
> 	After having 64 lovely days of uptime on our E250 with 2.4.10
> 	non-smp, I installed the 2.4.10-smp package. Unfortunately after 10
> 	minutes it crashed while compiling the pine source code.
>
> 	The crash wasn't too pretty either, no oops, no messages, simply
> 	a total lock-up of the system completely that would only respond to
> 	power-off, power-on.
>
> 	This has happened several times before with 2.4.x kernels in smp mode,
> 	so, in these situations where there is no information, how can I try
> 	to find out what went wrong ?
>
> 	What would you all recommend I do, so that I can obtain some more
> 	information next time I boot up 2.4.10-smp ? (or what may I have
> 	overlooked in my diagnosis too ?)

I saw the same thing on our dual Ultra60. I would suggest emailing the
sparclinux@vger.kernel.org mailing list, and explain to them you are
using a Debian kernel (cat /proc/version output will help). I'd like to
see this resolved aswell. It happened to me when copying many gigs
across two SCSI disks.

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \