Re: Disk partition on a Sparc 5

Hi,

I have a following setup for Linux and Solaris:
Linux disk:
fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb (Sun disk label): 16 heads, 63 sectors, 6779 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1             0      2350   1184400   83  Linux native
/dev/hdb2  u       2350      2857    255528   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb3             0      6779   3416616    5  Whole disk
/dev/hdb4          2857      6779   1976688   83  Linux native

Solaris disk with Linux partition:
fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda (Sun disk label): 15 heads, 63 sectors, 8892 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 945 * 512 bytes

   Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             0       152     71820    2  SunOS root
/dev/hda2  u        152       707    262237+   3  SunOS swap
/dev/hda3             0      8892   4201470    5  Whole disk
/dev/hda4           707      1141    205065    7  SunOS var
/dev/hda5          1141      2724    747967+   4  SunOS usr
/dev/hda6          2724      8600   2776410   83  Linux native
/dev/hda8          8600      8892    137970    8  SunOS home

I mounted the partitions like:
mount
/dev/hdb1 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hdb4 on /export type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /ext type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hdd1 on /ext2 type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /solaris type ufs (ro,ufstype=sun)
/dev/hda4 on /solaris/var type ufs (ro,ufstype=sun)
/dev/hda5 on /solaris/usr type ufs (ro,ufstype=sun)
/dev/hda8 on /solaris/home type ufs (rw)

I didn't have problem with partitioning the Linux disk using
fdisk. Just used s the make the default partitions: making the root,
swap and Whole disk partition then I deleted the first and second
partition and made new ones with n (Linux native). Only change was I
used 7200 for rpm instead of 5400. Using the s command gives a lot of
options I used 0 (custom) and picked up the defaults.

Gabor